Monday, August 10, 2009

More pictures from Gowanda

Emily sent along the following pictures from the Gowanda area.

Seems like it was hit the hardest. {NOTE NAMES CHANGED}
" The Pic of the brown car is the neighbors car that was in their garage. It slammed into Sally'ss
house and their garage is gone.



The Pic of the silver car is Sally's car. I found it a few houses down the street in some bushes.
The lights are on I don't know why. It seems that all the cars that were washed away
have their lights on. I tried to start it, just for the hell of it, but it wouldn't. I don't know
what I would have done if it did it is stuck in the mud and all kinds of tree limbs/branches
in the wheel wells, the mud up to the dash board.


Most of the village on the Cattaraugus county side was hit pretty bad. There was a fire truck
stalled downtown in front of the Post Office, water running right thru it.



We are all OK a little wet and dirty but OK. I know one man didn't make it.
I am not sure what happened, I think he had a heart attack and the ambulance couldn't
get to him.


We received just over 4 inches of rain in a very short time. I tried to take a girt home to the other
side of the village but I couldn't make it so she will stay with us. There was water coming over
the main bridge. I don't know yet if the river in town came over the banks yet or if it was just run off.

Thatcher brook was the main culprit. The bridge on US 62 just south of town is gone, and the bridge
on Hill street is pretty shaky, I went like hell going over it. It was the only way I could get back to my
house. I had to put the truck in 4X4 to get down some of the streets because of the
dirt, mud, tree limbs and rocks.











No comments: