BR News of the week--short one this week with finals (I used to like finals much better as a student than I do now as a professor!)
Wow that week went fast!
1. We are working this Sunday. Come out and help. Since only one day (not Saturday as well) we will leave at 10:30 on Sunday from Murphy. Also look for BR work days during Senior week. Several graduating students have asked for a final work day before they go.
Also Next weekend is Graduation. We will work a bit after graduation on Sunday and probably a short day on Saturday as well.
2. Margaret Mahar Service Scholarship
Congratulations to Greg on winning the first ever Margaret Mahar Service Scholarship. (he also won this week's feats of Strength for which he is pictured here)
Greg has been our most active volunteer this year, is a great leader, and truly “gets it”. Helping others is not about signing some form for a class or other requirement, it is helping because you can. Because it is the right thing to do. Here is an excerpt from the blog article on his award:
“I received so much from the time I have spent volunteering BonaResponds. It has taught me that I do have the ability to change the world...one ramp at a time or one hurricane help day at a time.
It has been so rewarding to see the gratitude on the Sandy victims faces when we take a little time to help clean our after the storm or help them to start to rebuild. I have spent time almost every weekend this school year volunteering with BonaResponds”
the entire article is here:
3. The New Trailer/Truck body is here! All the volunteers who have seen it (true a limited sample) are thrilled and are convinced it will make our work much easier/better organized.
Thanks to Ed for the generous donation!!
4. Several WarmSnugglyBlankets have gone out this week. That is both sad and joyous. I wish there were no need for blankets as cancer had been eliminated.
Please keep ten year old Bella in your prayers. She has had a rough week. (PrayforBella.com)
5. GREAT news from Wesley in Haiti! HaitiScholarships winners in Leogane Haiti and others at the CJM school planted hundreds of trees to combat the deforestation that is common in Haiti. Here is an album of pictures of the event. (Don't forget to "Like" HaitiScholarships!)
6. Collections were slow this week :( I will attribute it to final projects etc. I hope it picks up! Shoes, school supplies, winter coats, and books.
7. Random stuff:
* Thank you to the anonymous donation of material for WarmSnugglyBlanket!
* New deck screws finally arrived! 10 boxes. Very exciting news!
* Some of our larger donors will have their names on the walls of the new building. If you want to have your name on it, let me know ASAP. I think the pledge has to be in before June 1.
* Anyone want to be in charge of mailing out blankets this summer? We will pay postage!
8. We will be doing things all summer. REALLY REALLY REALLY will need volunteers. Students are gone, most faculty members are not involved, so we are counting on you! Yes you! :) come out and help change the world! Whoever you are, you can help! I PROMISE!