All volunteers have three forms that need to be filled out:
I was asked by a volunteer about what to bring on the trip. Here is my list and the list from our host The Church of Christ Response team.
What to bring:
- A good attitude
- Work clothes (jeans, long sleeve tee, short sleeve tee, sweatshirt, workboots (ideally steel toed).
- Gloves--leather is best IMO
- Sun glasses/safety goggles
- Sleeping bag (pillow if you want one--yoga block works great and is smaller)
- A pair of shorts would not be a bad idea
- cell phone charger
- digital camera
- warm clothes to sleep in
- toiletries etc (contacts, toothpaste, toothbrush, etc)
- water bottle
- Sun tan lotion (yes I know it is January, but if you are out all day and not used to it, you will want it!)
- granola bars etc--
- running clothes
We will stop at a grocery store the first day so you do not need to get everything on the plane
A limited amount of money will be needed for when we stop on the trip and if we get a chance to go sightseeing on 1/2 day.
There are shower facilities and a place to do laundry.
Should have had a tetanus shot within 5 years.
and from Laura at the Church of Christ Disaster Response team:
We're looking forward to working with you and we've got everything ready and waiting for you to arrive.
Don't forget to make sure your shot is up to date.
Items that you will need to bring with you are:
Sleeping bag (we do have some available. Please call before coming to see if there are any available for your scheduled time)
Hard soled shoes
We are praying for safe travels for you!"
"Thank You !!Hope this helps answer some of your questions
We appreciate the time you’re taking to be a part of the Churches of Christ Disaster Response Team! (DRT)
You’re help here is very needed and so much appreciated!
The following is some information we’d like you to know. These things will help the work here go more smoothly when we all work together.
When you arrive:
* Please pick up a T-Shirt. We ask for a $5. donation just to cover the cost of the shirts however, if you are not able to give a donation that is fine, we’d still like you to have a shirt. It helps those in the communities we are working in to know we’re from the Church of Christ.
* Please pick a “Team Leader” for your group. This person will meet with one of the coordinators each evening in the designated area at approx. 7:30 pm to go over work accomplished and prepare for the next day.
* Help yourself to snacks from the snack table at any time.
* Continental Breakfast is available from 6:00am – 7:00am
* Lunch will be served here at the community center at noon.
* Evening meals are provided by DRT at 6:00 pm. we work very hard to provide this for you so PLEASE try to return to the building in time to eat. If you are going to eat out, please let us know the day before so we can plan for that.
* Please clean up after yourselves. Please make sure to throw away any cups, plates, etc. that you’ve used and please keep your dorm room clean."